Friday, October 24, 2008

What Do You Go Home To?




Before I get into any heavy material and reflections, I have one thing to say: rain!!!!! This afternoon I saw rain for the first time in Cairo. At no point in my life did I ever think that I would miss the sight of raindrops, but since being here I have grown anxious to see something other than the sun and smog. For about half an hour the sky grew increasingly gray and then all of the sudden I saw the apartment windows become smeared with droplets. Although this shower lasted for only twenty minutes, it drastically changed the view of Cairo from my apartment. I could actually see true blue sky and feel cool air brush up against my face when I opened the window. I do not believe I have ever appreciated a clear sky as much as I had this afternoon, not even during the most beautiful back-bay sunsets.

Onto general updates and anything else worthy of publishing to the world. There have been numerous developments within the student organization where I am serving as president for the remainder of the semester. Just this past week the Foreign Students' Organization (FSA) received further congratulatory remarks from the AUC administration, stating that they recognize the organization as a new leader on campus and role model for future student initiatives. Additionally, I am no longer finding it necessary to forgoe sleep and schoolwork for the sake of the FSA, thanks to the contributions of more students to the group's efforts on campus. Whereas before I would spend more time manning the booth, where we sell food and speaking with students about their concerns, than in class, I have been able to go "play student" as my friends and I refer to doing academic work. Furthermore, the FSA has begun to formalize itself, which will give the group legitimacy before pre-exisiting student organizations. Hopefully this will alleviate any ill-blood between the FSA and the Student Union, who's "president"acts more like a dictator than an elected official. He has become a favorite discussion topic among the core officers of the FSA, who see him as a representation of what is wrong with Egypt in general: democracy that has been hijacked by incompentent individuals. It is ironic that this young man, the president of the Student Union, shares the same name as one of Egypt's most famous reformers, Muhammed Ali.

Aside from the growing popularity and influence of the FSA on campus, the organization has been very active with developing a lecture series for all students. Just this Wednesday we began the series with a screening of the documentary "Occupation 101," which presents the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in from a Palestinian perspective. I cannot put to words what emotions and thoughts rushed through my head while watching this film. To see images of Palestinian families being forced off their farms and have their homes demolished by Israeli bulldozers filled me with saddeness and rage. Prior to coming to Egypt I would have considered myself more or less ambivalent towards the situation in the Holy Land. It is not that I was ignorant of events but I felt that the matter seemed hopeless given the Israeli bias of the US. Looking back, I had just not exerted enough effort to try to make a difference. Since arriving in Cairo, I have become increasingly enthused by working with the Palestinian activist group on campus, Al-Quds, that attempts to raise awareness and promote peaceful solutions to the situations in the West Bank and Gaza. The members of the club are among some of the brightest students that I have met since being here and not to mention, the bravest. The majority of Palestinian students here are unable to return home currently to visit their families since Israel has declared the Palestinian territories "unsafe and sites of terrorist activity." Even if these students were allowed to return home, the journey back is ardeous and is not for the weak-hearted. By this I mean, Palestinians are subjected to strip-searches, splitting up of families on buses, hours to days spent at border crossings, and general humilitiation. While I cannot blame the Israelis for feeling constantly under threat given the history of anti-Israeli feelings across the Middle East, these measures have generated only further threats. Violence met by violence does not solve anything, history has shown me this.

All of this activist work has definitely had a positive impact upon my life thus far. In many ways I am at a cross-road in my life's direction. One part of me longs for being back home, among loved-ones and an environment that is relatively stable. Another tugs at me to abandon all of that for more time abroad either traveling or working towards the betterment of others. Each path offers what will surely be amazing experiences, but in very different ways. Even at age 21, I have had thoughts of wanting the trappings of suburban life: a peaceful environment to raise a family, much like the one I have been brought up in. However, the other, more youthful side of me desires non of that (at least right now). I recognize within myself this dichotomy and it is the most significant challenge before me right now. I have come to terms with the fact that by choosing either direction involves sacrifices, it does little to ease thoughts of potentially losing certain individuals in my life. I do not mean physically, since the Internet and cellphones have done wonders in keeping people in close contact, rather I am alluding to the emotional losses inherant to moving away. Being away just these few months has already exposed the potential emotional toll that comes with leaving. At the present time I am not sure which way I will choose but it is cathartic to just put my thoughts to words.

Ma'salaama for now,
Andrew

P.S. - The first picture here is of my tour guide in Luxor. Look like anyone famous in the news right now? ::Cough, cough:: Our next president ::cough, cough::

No comments: