Thursday, November 27, 2008

Close to Home

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Contrary to what you might think, it is possible to have a classic American turkey dinner in Cairo. A number of butchers and grocery stores stock turkeys for the holiday season since there is a significant American expatriate community living here. This evening I will be sharing a dinner with friends in their apartment - it should be great! What I miss most about being here for Thanksgiving is not so much the food, rather I long for the family component to the holiday. Specifically, the fact that everyone gathers together for numerous hours and engages in lengthy conversations about all sorts of topics. I guess being removed from this reoccurring event has shown that it does truly mean something to me. Being here in Cairo has caused me to take a more serious look at what I am thankful for this year than in the past. Foremost, I thank God for having a very loving "family," which is not limited to blood-relatives but also friends and other loved ones. My safe travels and life experiences in Egypt are also something that I thank God for this Thanksgiving. Well, I am off to enjoy turkey and the fixings with friends at their apartment. Cheers!

Ma'salaama for now,

Andrew

Currently Listening To:

City and Colour "What Makes a Man?"

No comments: